Tuesday, March 15, 2011

My - how things do change over time

As I go through the process of de-cluttering, I find myself examining different aspects of my "Self" and how I have changed over the years.  The possibility does exist that my introspection is what triggered the desire to simplify, but really either way makes no difference...

So what have I found?

I am amazed at the person I have become, not for my accomplishments, or even my values, but simply for the shock that I am nothing like what I used to be, or even what I thought I would be like at the not-so-ripe old age of 45.  I am surprised at what I see in the mirror now, compared to say, oh, a mere 20 years ago.  Not surprised in a bad way, but more in a curious way.  Where did this new "me" come from?  Over time, one does not notice the progression or slow formation of something new.  But comparing the before and after, a whole new perspective becomes dramatically apparent.  Is it maturity?  Is it life experience?  What is it that triggered the metamorphosis standing before me?  I suppose the answer can vary as much as there are people in the world and may be a question better left unanswered.

What I would venture to say though, is that dramatic change over time can be something to embrace, to value, and to appreciate.  It shows the growth of a person - the evolution of the self - into someone better, stronger, and hopefully wiser.  It allows for a new perspective on the future, new horizons to reach for, a reorganization of priorities and dreams.  Life becomes richer for the future as we look to the past.   I am now left to wonder to myself,

"What will I be like in another 20 years?

I know with certainty that everything will look a lot different than it does now...

No comments: