Thursday, April 8, 2010

Sunshine on my shoulder

With the arrival of spring comes a lifting of the spirit and a renewed vigor for life.

I had the long awaited opportunity today to take a stroll on the beach.  My senses rejoiced to the sound and smell of the ocean, the caress of the breeze occasionally mixed with mist from a crashing wave, my feet sinking into the soft sand, the simple beauty of a clear blue sky and watching my kids revel in their many explorations... But what I noticed is that there was one single ingredient which magically seemed to pull all the others together to culminate in a deep sense of bliss.

The sun... The nucleus of our universe.  Without it, all creation will perish... And yet, we move through our days secure in knowing that the sun will shine and life will go on.  Even at night we are assured of it's ever-presence as we gaze upon the moon and the sun's reflected light.  Its permanence is seldom questioned... It provides us Warmth. Security. Energy. Life. Creation...  Is it God?  No.  God is ever so much more. But I digress.

As I contemplate this day I find that  the sun offers so much more than I had ever previously imagined.  And it does so generously and without demand.  Its effects are far-reaching not just in the physical world, but also our emotional and spiritual outlook.

The warmth the sun provides offers a feeling of security and safety from which we can view the world with positivity and confidence.  Bad things don't seem so dreadful when viewed from a place of security.  Yet, when the perspective is reversed, even the best circumstances can take on a negative tone when seen from a place of insecurity...

So, what can I say?  I love the sun for sharing it's warmth and it's light, and for offering comfort, peace, and clarity.

No comments: